My Leap List

Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Trio of Dreams

Abide in the simple and noble regions of thy life, obey thy heart. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

     I am a dreamer by nature.   Today I have three dreams floating on the horizon.  Two of them are lifelong dreams, and one is a new addition.  My friend Patti likes to say that everything comes in threes, so a trio of dreams seems perfect.  
     My newest dream is opening a school for at-risk students.  Losing someone I loved to suicide last week reinforced the dream I've been playing with for over a year.  Yesterday I started a program to get my license.  Now I need to find the money and learn the process of starting a new school.  
     I've always dreamed of being an author.  I could say I don't have time, but if I'm honest with myself - it's fear.  The negative voice in my head is loud and strong and so easy to believe.  Being part of the daily blog challenge and publishing my thoughts are baby steps.  I'm forcing myself to share what I write with family, friends, and fellow human beings.  Your comments convince me that the things I write have value and worth, even if only to me.  
     When I was ten I believed if you closed your eyes and counted to 30, you would see your future when you opened your eyes.  One beautiful summer afternoon, I opened my eyes and saw myself in a cap and gown holding the book I had written.  I was standing between my granny and my grandma who had both passed away.  They told me I was graduating with my doctorate degree and they had come to celebrate.  I didn't know what a doctorate degree was then, but I knew I needed to get one.  I started my doctorate two summers ago, but I switched gears to start my school.  It seems like there are kids heading my way that need the school to be ready for them.  Then I will finish my degree.  I am excited to see two of the women I most admire walking with me at graduation.

1 comment:

  1. Crawl before walk, walk before run, run before fly... I sense magnificent "flights of fancy" becoming real for you in the not-too-distant future. Magnificent creator, you are!

    ReplyDelete