My Leap List

Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Legacy Today

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Today's prompt is:  One definition of legacy is what someone feels, thinks and says when they hear your name. What are you doing today to build the legacy you want?  (Author: Tim Belber)
     
     Today I took a risk and did something scary.  It's probably not scary for you because they are my fears - the fear of not being good enough and the fear of not being perfect.  They keep me from doing something I love - writing.  My fears stifle my words until I give in to the "nots" and remain silent.  
    I have met some wonderful blogger friends through this blogging challenge.  Rich decided to start a new challenge for himself and anyone who wanted to join in.  We would each write three paragraphs of a cooperative story and then pass it to another person to add three more paragraphs.  I was excited until it came to me, and then I froze.  I was sure I would have to back out, but somehow after all this soul searching and reflecting in my blogs, I forced myself to breathe and keep writing.  I managed to write three paragraphs and it felt amazing.  I didn't let the negative voice stop me this time.  Today my legacy is someone who is brave.  Brave means being scared but being able to do something anyway and today that is me!  
     Today I wanted to go to a celebration with my friends, but I was supposed to work.  I REALLY wanted to go celebrate, but I thought of the lesson that would send to my kids.  I decided to be a mature adult and do my work, rather than blow it off to go play.  Today my legacy is someone who values commitments to others and does the right thing, even when it is not the fun thing.  
     

2 comments:

  1. Bravo Tiff! You are brave. And you are one who makes the hard choices and follows through. An amazing legacy to be sure, and one that just happens to set you way apart from the crowd.

    Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And might I add, you did a GREAT job on those three paragraphs. They were great. I am so glad you got past the 'negative voice'. It can be a difficult thing to do. I am hoping that one day, for both of us, we will no longer 'hear' that negative voice! Take care.

    Peace, Nico

    ReplyDelete