My Leap List

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Thick or Thin Skin?

     I have very thin skin.  I am empathetic because I feel the energies and emotions from other people.  I pick up on subtle cues that others miss and that helps me be perceptive.  However, I am  very emotional and easily hurt by the smallest criticism, real or imagined.
     This week I got some critical feedback, and I realized that I needed to get some thicker skin.  I like myself (most of the time), and I don't want to change the way I see the world, but I want to face criticism without falling apart.  Here are some of the things I plan to try over the next few weeks:

  • Don't take things personally - maybe the person is just having a bad day
  • Don't let other people get to me - their truths may not be my truths
  • Remember that perseverance often makes the difference between success and failure, not getting it right the first time
  • Talk kindly to myself - I am often my worst enemy.  It doesn't take much to get the negative voice in my head chiming in with all the other things I do wrong.
  • Be patient with myself.  I am trying something new and the only way to grow is take risks, even if I end up failing the first time.  



No comments:

Post a Comment