My Leap List

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Whale Whisperer

Today's prompt is "If a year from now you weren't in the profession you are currently in, what would you be in your wildest dreams?
     I would be a marine biologist!  I love whales and dolphins and all the other marine animals.  I always feel at peace when I am near the ocean.  This would be my dream job!  
     In college I took a biology class, but I skipped the lab days when we had to dissect animals.  I couldn't bear to cut open an animal, even if it was dead.  The biology teacher asked me to meet with him after class one day and I was sure that I was in trouble for skipping the lab.  When we met, he asked me to consider becoming a biologist because I had a knack for the science.  I told him that I would love to be a marine biologist, but I was unable to dissect the animals.  He agreed that I would be unable to move on in the field if I was unable to do dissections.  That was the end of that dream.  
     I wonder if it would be different now that they have computer simulations of the dissections.  When my daughter couldn't dissect the frog, her teacher allowed her to do a simulation online.  I learned a lot about frog dissection and the parts of the frog's body by doing it with her.  I loved the fact no frogs were injured in my quest for knowledge.  I wonder how today's technology would have changed yesterday's dream?

2 comments:

  1. Tiff: THAT is truly "caught on the horns of a dilemma!" It just seems like it wasn't your path at that time. Incredible to look back, isn't it?

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog on the NaBloPoMo blogroll! I wish your biology teacher hadn't just let you think your dream was done because of a limitation you had THAT DAY. When I was in grade 8, I thought I would die if I had to dissect the frog that was part of our curriculum. I am a sensitive soul and care deeply for animals. My biology teacher was wonderful. He encouraged me to try looking at the bigger picture - what we learn about the animals when we dissect them helps us learn how to help them in fields like climate and environmental studies!! I was able to overcome my dread and enjoyed years of studying biology as well as the confidence of knowing I had moved past something that I thought I couldn't do. It turns out medicine (my primary motivation for studying biology) wasn't ultimately my dream, but I'm so glad for that experience. I hope you get your dream job someday soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete