My Leap List

Monday, July 4, 2011

Zen in my Garden


“The world belongs to the energetic.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson


This is my hibiscus.  Each bloom only lasts for a day.  This bloom opened today.  
     My energy comes from nature.  My favorite places are found in nature - the Rocky Mountains, the Pacific Ocean, and my garden.  I've learned many life lessons in the garden.
     Everything in my life is so time-driven; I even have bells go off hourly to send me to the next class.  Nature works on its own time frame and it forces me to be patient. When I'm there, I get lost in time. I have to let go and just "be" in the moment.  Now I know why other people meditate.
     
     Even in my darkest moments, I find peace tending to my garden and listening to the birds sing.  I have a purpose and a place in this universe, though I often lose sight of my path.  In nature I feel closest to God, and it restores my faith in humanity.
     I am a caretaker by nature, but sometimes I smother the people I love.  I do better with plants because they enjoy the extra attention - except for cacti (I always kill them with too much water).  I love seeing this beautiful manifestation of my care and love.
    I even love pulling the weeds.  I take my aggression out on the weeds.  It feels good to do something physical to get out my emotional stress, and I'm rewarded with happy plants.  I'm still working on transferring this lesson to my life.  I tend to avoid conflicts and problems until they overgrow everything.  If I learn to weed out problems as they come up, it will be easier to do and I will be happier for doing it.
     If you want to get to know the truest parts of a person, spend a day with him or her in the garden.    

3 comments:

  1. Tiff: You sound Zen-like in this post. Very nice!

    Namaste.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hibiscus! It is the connection to nature and to the earth...it connects us to all people, or at least that is the way I feel. I love how you connected it with your everyday life. Thanks for sharing!
    Take care!

    Peace, Nico

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post almost makes me want to take up gardening (almost).

    Beautiful post Tish.

    ReplyDelete