My Leap List

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Small Moments of Joy

     It's a crazy time to take on a new challenge.  I will spare you the details.  Don't you hate it when people complain about something when your life is so much worse than theirs?  Anyway, this has been a busy season and I knew there wouldn't be a lot of Tiff time, so I made a conscious effort to appreciate small moments of joy today.
     It started with finishing a book while I blow dried my hair this morning.  I am re-reading the Harry Potter series because I love the early books.  I had school books to read, but I gave myself permission to enjoy a novel.  After all, you can't blow dry and highlight a textbook at the same time.  (Don't tell me if this is untrue!)
     I thoroughly enjoyed calling and offering two people jobs today.  I loved hearing them yell the news to their families in excitement.  It is so rarely we get to make someone's day with good news.  It is too bad there isn't a job that requires continuously calling people with good news.
     Although I was busy today, I took the time to eat lunch with the secretary and her daughter.  By talking to them, I learned how others see me.  I also learned that HOW we treat people is way more important that what I do.  If you make someone feel special and appreciated, they will follow you to the ends of the Earth.
     I took time to read a chapter with Nick.  It was late and I was tired, but time passes so fast.  Every book we finish makes me wonder which will be our last.  When will he decide he doesn't want to cuddle up with me and read bedtime stories anymore?  These moments are precious and sleep can wait.  I was thrilled to hear him say, "So tomorrow we start book 3, huh, mom?"
     And now it's late enough to be a new day.  I am enjoying these last moments sharing my life with you, learning from my mistakes and practicing honoring my accomplishments.  Baby steps to joy today.  Cheers.  (Day 3)

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post...you did some things just for yourself, to feed your soul. I am happy for you.
    Cherish the time with your son while you can...it is very important for him to have this time with you, but you already know this! Take care.

    Peace, Nico

    ReplyDelete