My Leap List

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gratitude

     Lately death has been stalking the corners of my world, so today brings endless gratitude.
     Four students have been hit by cars the past few weeks; only 2 survived.  My friend watched a boy die today and can't wrap her mind around the size of the loss.  I am so grateful that my children are here with me, safe in bed for a little longer.
     Another student asks why she even lives in a world that is so full of violence and hate.  I stammer over an answer.  My small answers pale next to her story of abuse.  I am grateful that she is in my life and pray my answers might be enough for her to last another day.
     Today I am grateful that as winter sets in, John is returning to his art.  Last winter it was often the only thing that quieted the voices in his head.  I am grateful for quiet minds.
     I am thankful for a son who is growing to be an incredible young man, although he faces challenges no one else can see.  I am grateful for a daughter who forgives my bad example and is learning to let it just be good enough.
     I am grateful for laughter.  I can never have enough laughter in my life.
     I am grateful for the strength that saved me in the dark times and the strength that lets me carry others when the road gets too hard to climb.
     Most of all I am thankful for my life and all its vast complications and stress and goodness and love.  Although I don't always understand, and even less often appreciate it all, I am truly blessed to travel this road with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment