My Leap List

Friday, November 4, 2011

Thank You

     Whatever we focus our thoughts on becomes our reality.  When we focus on anger, we become more angry.  When we focus on joy, we find joyous examples sparkling through the day.
     No matter how hard everything gets, when we stop focusing on what we don't have and focus on all the wonderful things we do have, we change.  Our heart rate slows down, we breathe more slowly, and our muscles relax.  We feel better physically and that positive energy surrounds the people around us.  They feel the positive energy and love being around us.  When people are happy to be around us, we feel loved and wanted, which makes us feel better.  It is a cycle that begins with gratitude.
     Yesterday our school talked about gratitude.  Everyone was asked to write a post card thanking an adult in the building for something he or she does to make our lives better.  As soon as the kids began writing, you could feel the energy in the room shift.  It suddenly felt lighter and more peaceful.
     Today the postcards were delivered to the people we were thankful for in our building.  I had the joy of reading notes from kids thanking me for things I never knew I had done, like this one - "Thank you for helping me and being there for me on my first day of school.  I was so confused and I didn't know what I was doing and you really helped me."  It was anonymous, and I don't remember doing anything amazing the first day of school, but I am glad I helped someone in ways I didn't even know.  All day as negative things happened, I pulled out a postcard and read them.  Instantly the feeling of peace returned.
     Today I am challenging myself to end each day with a moment of gratitude for all the things in my life that are amazingly wonderful.  I vow to let others know how wonderful they are and how much I appreciate everything they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment