My Leap List

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Gift of Being Good Enough

     I keep putting cruel authority figures in my life and letting them belittle me.  Another attack tonight took me by surprise and left me running out of class in tears.  When I don't listen to the whispers in my life, they throw bricks to get my attention and then a wall falls on my head.  Okay, I'm listening.  You can stop throwing bricks at me.  I'm thoroughly bruised up.  What are you trying to teach me?  What lesson do I need to master?
     These people are all authority figures and have actual power over my future, so their opinions are very influential.  But I am not the same person I was a few months ago.  I am tired of letting everyone else's opinions of me define who I am.  The old me would have been devastated and symbolically ran away by quitting or dropping out.  Then she would have shut down for several days and taken a few weeks to get back to being me.  The new me just cried for a few minutes, raged for a few more and then looked for the lesson in all this.
     I want this and I'm not going to let these people make me give up my dream.  I don't need their approval.  I am proud of who I am and what I have accomplished.  I am good enough now...here...in this moment...just as I am.  A wise woman.      

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love this. I can very much relate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believing that about yourself is pretty much the most valuable gift ever.

    ReplyDelete