My Leap List

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Gift of Helping Others

     This week has been a crazy week, but honestly, when is my life not one crazy week after another?  Once again I have taken on way too much, even Atlas would struggle under the weight I carry.
     Today a random phone call interrupted my 4th period class.  I almost didn't answer, but last time that happened, I received incredible news, so I picked up the phone.  The voice asked me to sub a four hour class tonight.  Taken off guard and trying to hand motion my class into being quiet and on task, I couldn't think of an excuse to say no, so I reluctantly said yes.
      The teacher ran in the door to drop off lesson plans.  With tears in her eyes she told me that her daughter had a stroke today and they weren't sure if she would make it.  Suddenly my burdens seemed weightless, but the guilt was a bit heavier.  I wished there was something I could do for her besides just take her class.
      Sometimes the littlest things make the biggest difference for others.  Yesterday I made worry dolls as a reward activity for the kids at school.  One boy told me, "I had to come.  I'm from Guatemala and I want to learn about my culture."  Today a girl said, "Ms. C, your advice really worked.  I was up till 11 last night worrying about stuff.  I put the worry doll under my pillow.  I slept till 6, and I was totally rested."  I wish I could solve more problems with pipe cleaners, beads and yarn.
     Tonight I talked to a special girl in my life.  It's a hard time of year to face without her brother and sister.  Death is always hard, but suicide is cruel.  The guilt and remorse eat her from the inside.  How small my words seemed as we cried together.  I'm hoping that the little things like my love and my words and my thoughts and my prayers give her some small comfort.
     In this season of love and goodwill, I celebrate that my burdens are light enough that I can easily help the others walking this path with me.  Tonight I celebrate the gift of helping others. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tiff,

    This struck a chord with me. In the last few years I have turned a corner to where I am constantly thankful for only having "light burdens". And for getting to a place (or age?) in my life where I can put problems aside and just enjoy. And I have been! So much so, as evidenced by my blog, that there is little room for me to help others. I feel like I am making up for lost time in just being happy.

    Helping others, at whatever scale, is something on my horizon. If I plant a seed, it takes a few years to sprout. But when my selfish period here ends, that's the direction I will head.

    Thanks for sharing (and for helping someone)!

    Tiffanie

    ReplyDelete