My Leap List

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Gift of People

"What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?"  - George Elliot
     
      December has arrived with the promise of symbolic gifts.   I am often so busy rushing through my life that I miss them entirely.  To celebrate the season of reflection and love,  I honor a different gift each night.  Focus brings understanding and gratitude, perfect for renewing their influences throughout my life.
     Today I cherish the gift of people in my life.  As a child I learned to mistrust everyone in my life.  As an adult I hide myself from people in many subtle ways.  It is a lonely place to be, but it offers a safe place to hide.  Today I was healed by the goodness of people.  When I needed help with a situation at school, nearly everyone reached out and offered to help me.  They e-mailed, called, and stopped by to offer their help.  
     Tonight I was having a hard time staying centered on learning in class.  On break I went to my nemesis - caffeine.  The machine ate $1.10 of my money.  When I went back to class and shared what had happened, four people pulled out money to buy me a drink.  When things got difficult tonight, they made me laugh and told me everything would be okay.  
     The kindness of the people in my life heals the wounds I have carried for so many years.  I am truly blessed with the gift of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment