My Leap List

Monday, January 2, 2012

Jogging in a Virtual Shower Cap

     I am short.  I am overweight.  I am out of shape.  Today I went jogging.  It turns out I can jog as fast as my son walks, so we were a perfect couple out in the sunshine today.  As we turned the corner, I saw a carload of people with the doors open, parked and talking on the street.  My instinct told me to start walking nonchalantly, but then I remembered Colleen Wainwright.  This morning I watched a video of her playing her guitar, in her shower cap, singing a tribute to the new year and doing things imperfectly, but doing them.  I thought of her, smiled, and proudly jogged by the car.  The conversation stopped and all eyes were on me.  I smiled and waved and thought, "Tomorrow I might do this in my shower cap.  Then you'll have a story to tell." 
     Thank you Colleen.  Today, with your help, I let go of caring what people think of me.  I am an imperfect jogger, but I'm going up that hill anyway!  
     If you would like to see Colleen's video, note there is swearing and a wonderful woman in a shower cap.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysh7ZxWew-M&feature=youtu.be 

5 comments:

  1. One of the best things about getting older is not giving a damn any longer about what people think! Btw...I am short, overweight and out of shape too (don't let my profile pic fool u, I gained 30+ in the last year...).

    Jog proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go, girl! You can add yourself to the list of inspirational women!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! I am like that too. Paralyzed by what people think. I am jogging at over 200lbs. I normally jog at dark so it's harder to see me. But you are right. I should just put on a shower cap and let them have a story! Colleen was too funny. Thanks for sharing that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw...this makes me very happy! Keep on running. And shower caps are great for keeping the rain off, too. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep on moving! the video brought tons of laughter, the unexpected and hilarious chorus reminding me of my atheist friend who signs his paragraph in the family Christmas letter MFC ~ Great Blog! Keep Writing! Rw

    ReplyDelete