My Leap List

Sunday, February 12, 2012

My Birthday Bonanza of Kindness

For my birthday, I decided to follow Robin Bomar's example and do 43 acts of kindness in the three weeks before my birthday.  Then I challenged all my Facebook friends and family to do acts of kindness for others sharing the planet and post their results on my Facebook page.  Here are the results of our kindness.

My Acts of Kindness  
  1. Teaching another teacher's class for her during my free period.
  2. Counseling another team's students on grades during my free period.
  3. Helping another teacher put assignments on the website.
  4. Making blankets for the kids with cancer at the children's hospital.  
  5. Doing the assignment for my team when everyone was having a hard week.
  6. Buying treats to make a difficult meeting a little better.
  7. Listening to my friends' problems even when I was really sick 
  8. Planning fun activities for students that had their grades updated
  9. Meeting with all of the elementary principals to explain a new reading program for my principal
  10. Teaching two classes for free and then paying to attend the event
  11. Presenting to all of the English teachers in the district for a friend 
  12. Paying $20 I can't afford for a student so she can be a student ambassador this summer
  13. Offering my classroom to another teacher when a student got sick in his room
  14. Helping my pregnant friend when she didn't feel well
  15. Taking a new position at work because it will help more students
  16. Writing my words and managing to write what others needed to hear
  17. Creating a lesson for the history teachers and making all the copies they needed
  18. Helping my students do a project for another class even though it took several days away from mine
  19. Spending 2 hours being interviewed by a future teacher about how to be a good teacher
  20. Planning a fun activity with food and books for intervention activities
  21. I agreed to teach a class I didn't want to teach because they needed help
  22. I did something for a friend when he forgot to do it himself
  23. I listened to another teacher who was going through a hard time.  Her husband left her and she is raising 17 kids
  24. Spending 3 hours registering new students on a night I had tons of homework
  25. Doing the team assignment even though I was busy because they had a busier week
Other People's Acts of Kindness
  1. Making cookies for a family
  2. Sitting by someone at lunch that struggles with social skills
  3. Accepting criticism with grace, even though it was undeserved
  4. Paying for a child to attend a summer music camp
  5. Providing lunch for all of the kids who didn't get lunch at a wrestling meet 
  6. Paying for a student to take an online class so they didn't have to postpone graduation
  7. Volunteering time to help students register
  8. Taking co-workers to lunch and paying for it
  9. Being genuine with students

No comments:

Post a Comment