For my birthday, I decided to follow Robin Bomar's example and do 43 acts of kindness in the three weeks before my birthday. Then I challenged all my Facebook friends and family to do acts of kindness for others sharing the planet and post their results on my Facebook page. Here are the results of our kindness.
My Acts of Kindness
My Acts of Kindness
- Teaching another teacher's class for her during my free period.
- Counseling another team's students on grades during my free period.
- Helping another teacher put assignments on the website.
- Making blankets for the kids with cancer at the children's hospital.
- Doing the assignment for my team when everyone was having a hard week.
- Buying treats to make a difficult meeting a little better.
- Listening to my friends' problems even when I was really sick
- Planning fun activities for students that had their grades updated
- Meeting with all of the elementary principals to explain a new reading program for my principal
- Teaching two classes for free and then paying to attend the event
- Presenting to all of the English teachers in the district for a friend
- Paying $20 I can't afford for a student so she can be a student ambassador this summer
- Offering my classroom to another teacher when a student got sick in his room
- Helping my pregnant friend when she didn't feel well
- Taking a new position at work because it will help more students
- Writing my words and managing to write what others needed to hear
- Creating a lesson for the history teachers and making all the copies they needed
- Helping my students do a project for another class even though it took several days away from mine
- Spending 2 hours being interviewed by a future teacher about how to be a good teacher
- Planning a fun activity with food and books for intervention activities
- I agreed to teach a class I didn't want to teach because they needed help
- I did something for a friend when he forgot to do it himself
- I listened to another teacher who was going through a hard time. Her husband left her and she is raising 17 kids
- Spending 3 hours registering new students on a night I had tons of homework
- Doing the team assignment even though I was busy because they had a busier week
Other People's Acts of Kindness
- Making cookies for a family
- Sitting by someone at lunch that struggles with social skills
- Accepting criticism with grace, even though it was undeserved
- Paying for a child to attend a summer music camp
- Providing lunch for all of the kids who didn't get lunch at a wrestling meet
- Paying for a student to take an online class so they didn't have to postpone graduation
- Volunteering time to help students register
- Taking co-workers to lunch and paying for it
- Being genuine with students