My Leap List

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Focusing on the Fabulous

     Sometimes I forget how amazing life is and start focusing on the little hiccups along the way.  Luckily I have amazing people who remind me life is a matter of focus.  No matter how perfect our lives seem from the outside, we all have struggles that make us human.
     Baby Joscelyn has gone through two brain surgeries this week, and she is still smiling at her mom and the people taking care of her.  Her indomitable spirit humbles me.  Her mother has the same amazing spirit. Rhea is going through a painful medical treatment that leaves her bruised and battered, but she still checks in on me to make sure I am okay.  There are so many people I could list here that inspire me every day to change my focus and see all the good things in the world.  
     I struggled to write tonight on such an uneventful day, but then I thought of all the amazing people who  would tell me life is a matter of focus.  This is my revised focus day.

  •  I got a surprise visit from a dear friend I haven't seen in years.  She wasn't supposed to be there today, but a fluke scheduling change brought us to the same place at the same time.  
  • There were bunny kisses and bunny paws on my lap while I read the morning paper.  
  • I Skyped for the first time ever and got to hear the voice of a friend in Turkey.  
  • I got a postcard from one of my favorite students.  I was delighted with the picture of a Scottish cow; she is a student ambassador in Europe this summer.    
  • I am down to two Pepsi's a day, which is still a lot, but not bad for a girl who could drink five or six on an average day.  
  • I went for my third walk this week - also a lot for a girl trying to get back in shape.  
  • A cat followed us for part of the walk.  When Mandy kneeled down to pet it, it climbed up in her lap and nuzzled into her neck.  It was amazing to see the instant love.  
  • My sister donated money to baby Joscelyn in my name because she knew it would make me smile and knew I would want to help her.  
  • Many friends offered to join me in a future walk to raise money for suicide prevention.  With their help, we can raise even more money to help kids who need extra love and support.  
  • I got to sit in a hot tub in the rain.  I actually giggled with delight at the combination of hot and cold water on my skin.  
There were so many fabulous things in my life today.  How could I think it was uneventful?  The day was the same; it was my focus that made the difference.    

No comments:

Post a Comment