My Leap List

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Some Days are Like That

     Today I'm channeling Alexander in one of my favorite kid books, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.  Alexander is having one of those days and he keeps threatening to run away to Australia.  His mom tells him, "Somedays are like that, even in Australia."
     It was one of the those days.  It started with a 6 A.M call to the bank to see if a real person would answer when they opened back East.  I didn't know that's what we were doing.  I was blowdrying my hair when I was handed the phone.  I talked to a woman until 7 and tried to convince her that I need help.  She told me somebody would call me, but in the meantime I would be in collections and that could mean foreclosure.  So, of course, I started crying.  When I got off the phone John yelled at me because I was supposed to just tell her she could talk to him.  Getting yelled at when I'm crying makes me cry hysterically.  So I went to work splotchy, with a wet hair ponytail, and melting make-up.
     There were people waiting for me at my door to complain about the test schedule I spent hours doing last night.
     There was a 1st grader who brought medicine to school in her lunchbox and gave it to another kid, who got sick on it.
     Another first grader didn't know what to do when there was no toilet paper, so he used his hand, and then kept trying to get it off his hand by wiping it on the stall door and wall.
     An aide yelled at me in an office full of people because she wasn't happy that I hadn't called an inside recess.
     The state office clarified a change in a test that has been changed 3 times since the testing window started 2 weeks ago.  Now the teachers are mad because half got extra help on the test and the other half won't.  No big deal unless your future pay might be tied to the results.  I was the lucky messenger, and they shot me.
     John still isn't talking to me tonight.
     I hit my head.  There was no ice, so Nick got me a bag of french fries.  They weren't tied shut, so french fries fell down my head.
      I want to move to Australia, but I'm writing, breathing, and remembering some days are like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment