My Leap List

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Death is like that, sometimes

     I have experienced death before.  It's hard to escape it in 45 journeys around the sun.  I have lost pets, my baby brother, family, students, friends, and almost my mom.  In all of those experiences, death was already there before I arrived.  Yesterday I brought it with me.
     The bat was injured and we couldn't tell if it could fly at all.  There were ten minutes until kids were coming out to play.  All the people we called for help refused to come.  We weren't sure if it would bite or if it had any diseases.  It was one of those weird moments when time stops.  I knew what I had to do, but it didn't make it any easier.
     I have always wondered what I would do in those childhood novels like Old Yeller.  Would I have the strength of the father if it meant protecting the other people he loved?  For anything else but the love I have for the kids, I wouldn't have made the choice.
     Knowing it was the best of all imperfect decisions in that moment doesn't make it any easier.  Death is like that, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment