My Leap List

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Luckiest

      I am the luckiest person in the world.  Most people get to fall in love a few lucky times.  I have fallen in love thousands of times.  I am just about to finish my twenty-fourth year as a teacher and administrator.  You would think I would be a pro at saying goodbye - three middle schools, four elementary schools, hundreds of teachers, and thousands of kids.  The funny thing about love is that goodbyes never get easier.  Funny, it also makes the hellos harder.
    As a teacher, I had a seven-year itch that found me at a new school each time.  I managed to start an eighth year at Sunset Ridge, but became an administrator three months into the year.  Since then, I have been moved to a new school every year.  The hello's match the season - so beautiful but tinged with the knowledge winter is coming.
     I used to think I was in control of the goodbyes, but I was wrong.  My kids have always been the ones with that power.  Some of them have stayed in my life.  Others have come back around.  Most I just see in my dreams.  I wonder about all of them and wish them well wherever life takes them.  A few goodbyes are permanent, at least for this lifetime.  No one ever tells you what that loss will be like when you go to college to be a teacher.
     Today is an anniversary for one special guy that broke my heart with his wounded smile.  When I lost him four years ago, I decided to give up teaching and become an administrator because I could help more people.  Today my life is a tribute to him, my thousands of kids, the hundreds of teachers, and the people who spend every day making the world a better place.  Thank you for the laughter, the joy, the lessons, and the difference you make in my life.  I am a better person because of all of you.  I am truly the luckiest person in the world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment