My Leap List

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Goodbye Meraki, Welcome Ubuntu

For the past two years I have picked a word to focus on throughout the year because of the idea that where my thoughts and focus go will create this in my life.  2016 was the year of Meraki - doing something with total love and pure soul.  It is leaving a little piece of yourself in your creative work.  Meraki helped me through leaving Blackridge and starting over at another new school.  It helped me finish my dissertation and graduate.  It helped me through the mundane days when I wondered if anything was making a difference.  It reminded me to do whatever needed to be done with love and soul, no matter what that task was.

     This year's word is Ubuntu - I am what I am because of who we all are - compassion, kindness, and humanity that connect us together by sharing ourselves with others and caring for those around us.  There were lots of words I considered for 2017, but picked Ubuntu because of its focus on humanity.  2016 was a year of tearing apart, of finding ways to separate us, judgements, racism, sexism, and all the other kinds of "ism"s.  This year I want to focus my energy, thoughts, and intentions on what makes us human.  To know that everything I accomplish in my life is because of so many other people who have made things fall into place in that moment.  To know that authentically sharing myself, even the imperfections, makes me human and helps other people who think they are the only ones struggling.  To know that I can make a difference in other people's lives in small ways instead of waiting for big gestures and missing daily opportunities.  To know that injustice and suffering in someone's life affects all of us.  To look for ways to connect to others on a deeper level.  To inspire, to lead, to motivate, to help, to heal, to love.

If we joined hands and helped each other reach the end instead of racing ahead to take everything for ourselves, what a world it would be.  I wish we knew how much power we have to change the world.  Ubuntu - I am because we are.      

No comments:

Post a Comment